How to Choose the Right Neighborhood
When looking to buy your new home, you have to determine which neighborhood fits your needs and your lifestyle best. Not sure which community is right for you? Start by making a list of what you really want in a neighborhood. Make a list of your “must haves” and “would like” to help you narrow down your search.
Here are a few things to consider when making your list:
- What type of home are you looking for? For some buyers, a home with a big yard is paramount, while for others the neighborhood and community lifestyle is the most important. Depending on your budget, you may have to make a compromise on the home or the community.
- What type of amenities would you like nearby? If you like to play golf, swim or play tennis, then a community with these amenities should be on your list. If you have kids, how far is the nearest park or recreation center?
- Research the school system. A good school system is usually a priority for parents, but even if you do not have kids, living in a sought-after school district raises the value of the property.
- Explore and study the area. Test out your commute from your place of employment to the community. A huge consideration for buyers is how they will get around to places they visit regularly. Are there restaurants, shopping, and entertainment nearby? Research the crime rate. Most real estate websites offer this information by plugging in a zip code.
- Talk to future neighbors and find out what they like about the community and the area. Those who currently live in a community are a wealth of information, and will potentially tell you anything that you may want to know about your chosen area.
- Visit a potential neighborhood at different times of the day to get a feel of what it would be like to live there. Checkout how the houses are being maintained. Are the neighbors socializing or are they keeping to themselves?
Be sure to explore Neal Communities with our Home Finder Tool. Whether you seek a relaxing Florida retreat with a view of the water, a golfer’s green paradise, or a piece of old Florida, Neal Communities has just the right neighborhood to fit your needs.